How to care for your new tattoo:
First and foremost. Getting tattooed is draining on your body. Make sure you eat something soon after you get your tattoo. And it is best to have a quiet afternoon/night of rest.
- Leave wrap on for approximately 1 – 2 hours.
- If swollen, elevate the tattooed area and apply a cold pack or a bag of frozen peas to the area for 20 mins per hour during this time before you unwrap.
- Take off wrap and wash with antibacterial liquid soap and warm water. It is important to wash the tattoo lightly, but be sure to remove all ointment, blood, and any other residue.
- Pat tattoo dry with a clean towel. Air dry for 20 mins.
- Apply a thin, shiny, “barely there” layer of Bepanthen Antiseptic Cream over the tattoo 2 – 3 times daily or as needed.
- Balance is key! Do not let your tattoo dry out or over moisturize till it becomes mushy.
- Wash tattoo twice a day for the first 4 – 5 days.
- Do not soak tattoo. Avoid sun/ surf/ chlorinated water/ baths / saunas until tattoo is healed.
- After a few days your tattoo will flake/peel like a sunburn and become very itchy. DO NOT pick or scratch.
- A new tattoo is a wound so treat it as such. Do not let contaminants such as pets or unwashed hands touch it.
- Your Tattoo can take anywhere between 7 – 14 days to heal
- When all signs of peeling, flaking or scabbing have ceased your tattoo is healed.
- Once healed use a good quality moisturizer to treat any dryness. (Aveeno is a good one!)
- Always apply 30+ sunscreen to protect your healed tattoos when going into the sun. Sun exposure damages the skin and will accelerate the fading and ageing of your tattoo.
Please get in touch if you have any issues with healing. A complimentary touch up can be arranged within 1 to 3 months after the initial appointment, if required. Exceptions apply for hand/ finger/ feet tattoos or in instances where aftercare instructions have been disregarded.
- Wrap medium and larger sized tattoos in cling film or bluey after washing & applying ointment on the first night only. It will be super goopy in the morning. Wash in the morning and carry on with healing as per instructions.
- It helps to take an ibuprofen after you first wash your tattoo to help reduce swelling.
- Avoid sleeping on really nice bed sheets until your new tattoo peels. They will get stained!
- Do not let tight clothing sit or rub on your tattoo as it heals (bra straps, waistbands, shoes etc).
- Don’t stress if your healing tattoo does not itch, flake or peel. You just had a really good heal. Hell yeah!
- Please do not use Lucas Papaw ointment to heal your tattoo. As a drawing ointment it may fade your tattoo.
- Bonus tip! If you would like to be super diligent, take a high strength vitamin C tablet daily for a least a fortnight prior to and after your appointment, to nourish the skin and promote healing.
* Bepanthen antiseptic cream is the recommended aftercare as it both an emollient with occlusive properties, a humectant, is antiseptic and contains pro-vitamin b5 for faster healing. Bepanthen is not vegan as it contains lanolin.
* Vegan alternatives to Bepanthen are Protat Natural Aftercare Cream, Hustle Butter Deluxe, Inky Tattoo Salve, Dr Pickles or Tattoo Goo. Check the ingredients for these products to ensure you do not have allergies to any of the essential oils etc. Please note that unlike Bepanthen, Vegan tattoo products are not antiseptic.
* Pimples appearing on or around your fresh tattoo are generally caused by too much Bepanthen blocking the pores. Adjust your Bepanthen usage or try swapping to a non lanolin based ointment such as the vegan options above.